Trochenbrod was founded in 1835
when Jews from Belorussia and Wohlin
settled on 7,000 dunams of agricultural land.
In 1889 , 1,200 Jews were living there.
Lozisht was founded in 1838
in 1897 it had 567 Jews
on 2,800 dunams of land.
the Jewish worked in agriculture
as well as petty traders and craftsmen.
At the beginning of the twentieth century
a glass factory was opened in Trochenbrod
which helped the local economy.
in Lozisht was there a large flour mill.
The two towns had several synagogues.
A modern Heder was opened in Trochenbrod in 1910
and classes were held there also for adults
who learned to write Yiddish and Russian.
a Hebrew school was opened in town in 1912
it had taught Russian as well as Jewish studies.
in 1914 the school was closed down.